Skip to content Skip to footer

History of the Library

ALAMOSA PUBLIC LIBRARY 2011-PRESENT

In April 2011, the library changes its name to the Alamosa Public Library as part of the move to the new City Hall complex in November. The old Southern Peaks Library building became the Alamosa Police Department. 8-3-2011 Resolution No. 16, 2011 - Renaming the Southern Peaks Public Library as…

Read more

SOUTHERN PEAKS PUBLIC LIBRARY 1960-2011

The Alamosa Library moved to its newly constructed home on 4th Street in 1961 and was temporarily called the Alamosa City Library until 1964 when the City Council officially changed it to Southern Peaks Public Library. In December 1962, the Alamosa Carnegie Library was demolished and the location was turned…

Read more

Old photograph of the Alamosa Carnegie Library from the street. Image is of the original building and the front entrance, with text that reads, "Carnegie Library, Alamosa, CO, From the collection of Sharon McQueen"

ALAMOSA CARNEGIE LIBRARY

The Town of Alamosa was awarded $6,000 from millionaire philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, on March 21, 1908 for the construction of a public library. In May, that same year, a motion was passed by the Town Trustees that the vacant lot beside the First Baptist Church on 4th Street and State…

Read more

READING ROOM 1902-1909

The first reference of a library appeared in The Alamosa Journal on March 20, 1902 announcing that the Town of Alamosa donated a room above the fire station to the Library Association, which at the time was supported by membership fees and quarterly dues. Members of the Current Events Club…

Read more